May – The Royal Lemon, Pistachio and Elderflower Cake
Follow the recipe below and share your creation on our Facebook or Instagram account to receive a free Coffee at The Yurt. All you have to do is tag us in your post and we will send you your unique voucher code. Happy baking!
The Royal Lemon, Pistachio and Elderflower Cake
Well, it would be rude not to… in homage to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle‘s wedding on 19thMay, the London-based Violet Bakery is making them a Lemon and Elderflower cake, ‘incorporating the bright flavours of spring’.
To celebrate the occasion ourselves, Penny has come up with her own, gluten-free, take on the royal cake. For the whole month of May, her lemon, pistachio and elderflower cake will be available in our Yurt cake cabinet.
Reassuringly easy, having creamed the butter and sugar, the rest of the ingredients all go in at once. With the addition of the elderflower cordial on top, the result is lovely and moist.
For the Cake:
- 375g Butter
- 375g Sugar
- 200g Pistachio (plus extra to decorate, roughly chopped)
- 150g Ground Almonds
- 300g Polenta
- 2 tsps GF Baking Powder
- 3 tbsp Greek Yoghurt
- 5 Eggs
- 2 Lemons zested and juice
- Elderflower Cordial
For the Elderflower Cream Cheese:
- 350g Cream Cheese
- 2 tbsp Elderflower Cordial
- 80g Icing Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160C
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy Add the pistachios, ground almonds, polenta, and baking powder; mix well.
- Finally, add the eggs and lemon zest and juice; mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a lined 26cm cake tin and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until cake is firm to the touch and a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- While the cake is still warm, gently pour the small amount of elderflower cordial over the cake and let it soak in
- Put all ingredients into a bowl and beat until smooth.
- Once the cake is cool, turn out and spread the icing over the top
- Finally, sprinkle with the remainder of the chopped pistachios